Neiman Marcus’ Dallas Flagship Store to Close, Confirms Saks Global
The 111-year-old store will close following a dispute among Saks Global, a landlord, and the City of Dallas over a small piece of land.

The company recently acquired Neiman Marcus Group, which owns Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman. Its portfolio also includes Saks Fifth Avenue and Saks Off 5th.
The iconic downtown location, a Dallas landmark for more than 100 years, will close March 31, the retailer confirmed, debunking rumors that the store would remain open.
The retailer said it has offered transfer opportunities to nearby Neiman Marcus locations for impacted employees whenever possible and has offered separation packages to those who are eligible.
“The claims that the store will remain open are misleading for the Dallas community, our store employees, and our brand partners,” said Ian Putnam, CEO of Saks Global properties and investments.
The confusion is the result of an ongoing back-and-forth among Neiman Marcus, one of its landlords, and the City of Dallas.
The retailer announced the location would close last month, which prompted community leaders and officials to form The Dallas Consortium for The Downtown Neiman Marcus.
Their efforts to keep the store open, which included a lease negotiation with one of the landlords, sparked hope for those who would be affected by the closure.
However, on Feb. 27, Saks Global doubled down, confirming via a press release that the location would close.
In a statement to National Jeweler on Tuesday, a Saks Global spokesperson said, “The Dallas Consortium’s ongoing tactic of using the press to pressure us into changing our strategy in Dallas is highly unproductive.
“Even after our corrections to their previous false statements, they continue to go to the press, making inaccurate claims. Our decision to close the Neiman Marcus Downtown Dallas store is final and we are moving forward as such.”
The store closure is not a response to its performance or a decision made by its new owner, Saks Global, but rather a landlord dispute with Slaughter Partners LP, according to an internal memo obtained by the Dallas Morning News.
While Neiman Marcus owns a majority of the land under the store, some of it is divided up among different owners, explained the report by the Dallas Morning News.
There is a 2,500-square-foot parcel of land at the heart of the dispute, which is owned by two groups with ties to the Slaughter family.
The owners of Slaughter Partners are descendants of C.C. Slaughter Jr., who signed a 99-year lease with two of the store’s founders Herbert Marcus and A.L. Neiman for the property in 1926, according to the report.
C.C.’s father, Christopher Columbus Slaughter, was “the first native-born cattle king of Texas,” moving to Dallas in the 1870s and establishing himself as a successful businessman and philanthropist.
In a press release, Saks Global gave some insight into the back and forth between Neiman Marcus and Slaughter Partners, which it said has been going on since 2011.
“Saks Global inherited this lease issue from Neiman Marcus’ previous owners and worked in good faith to come to an agreement with the landlord, who chose to terminate our occupancy,” said Putnam.
The previous leadership at Neiman Marcus Group had discussed the possibility of purchasing its portion of the land with Slaughter’s broker, but the landlord would not offer a price, said the company.
In November 2024, the previous leadership at Neiman Marcus Group reached out to the City of Dallas for help with the lease negotiations.
City officials expressed concerns about the store and its continued operation, said Saks Global.
Last week, the consortium, formed by city officials and business leaders, announced that, following conversations with a Slaughter family representative, the family intends to donate the land to the city via a philanthropic lease.
“This kind of vision and cooperation between the real estate community, downtown stakeholders, and longtime passionate Neiman Marcus customers have been the driving force motivating us for the betterment of our city,” Dallas City Manager Kimberly Bizor Tolbert said in the statement to the local news.
“We are committed to ensure that the flagship Neiman Marcus store in downtown is open for many years to come with no barriers related to this land lease.”
With the lease issue presumably solved, there was hope the store would remain open.
However, the following day, Saks Global published its press release confirming that it would still close the downtown location and it reiterated its decision to National Jeweler on Tuesday.
“We acknowledge the position of the Dallas Consortium, particularly given the slow resurgence of the downtown Dallas area over the last several years and are willing to hear their perspective. However, we have to make decisions as a business about what’s best for the future and our long-term success in Dallas and beyond,” Putnam said in the release.
Saks Global said that it has not received any documentation about an agreement between Slaughter Partners and the City of Dallas and has no information on how this new agreement would affect the property, its other owners, and the store’s ability to operate.
The company also pointed out that the suggestion to make the lease philanthropic rather than commercial was only made an option after Slaughter attempted unsuccessfully to raise its rent.
Saks Global claimed that during negotiations, Slaughter “demanded rent well above market rates,” knowing that Neiman Marcus would not be able to operate its store in this location without a lease agreement.
Saks Global also denied reports that it had confirmed a meeting with city officials to discuss the future of the store.
“This is a far more complicated situation than what the public is being led to believe and has been going on for more than a decade,” a Saks Global spokesperson said.
“While we had been willing to hear the consortium’s perspective, a meeting was not confirmed. We have made several attempts to be connected directly to the city manager, as an official representative of the City of Dallas, and we were denied.”
“We are committed to growth and are focused on Neiman Marcus’ future in Dallas. That future is at the NorthPark store, where we are planning a $100 million renovation.”
Founders Herbert Marcus, his sister Carrie Marcus Neiman, and her husband, A.L. Neiman, established the company in downtown Dallas in 1907. A fire destroyed the original location in 1913, and the current store was built in 1914.
Though a beloved landmark, customer data shows that the “overwhelming majority” of its Dallas customer base prefer to shop at its NorthPark store.
“We know that the local community shares in our disappointment about losing a piece of Neiman Marcus history, but customers have expressed their excitement about the reimagination of NorthPark,” Metrick said.
The ongoing lease drama is one of several issues plaguing the retailer, which has also run into issues with its vendors.
In a Feb. 14 memo to Saks Global vendors, obtained by Retail Dive, Metrick admitted to an 18-month backlog of unpaid vendor bills, an issue analysts had warned would hurt its inventory management and revenue.
The plan Metrick laid out to pay these vendors ruffled feathers.
Purchase orders will now be paid 90 days from receipt of inventory. However, past-due payments will not be made to vendors until July, as per the memo, and they will be sent out in 12-month installments.
The memo also seemed to imply that brands who pause shipments and order fulfillment in the meantime may be axed from Saks Global’s stores.
The retailer also announced last week that it was laying off 5 percent of its corporate staff, or around 150 people, as per a WWD report.
Saks Global laid off around 100 employees last July just before the Neiman Marcus acquisition announcement.
The Latest

The exhibition will feature more than 100 drawings of stained-glass lampshades, windows, and more, many created by women and émigrés.

Marquise-cut diamonds in drop charms are the center of the new collection, reflecting the movement of a dancer in modular styles.

The inaugural Fort Lauderdale Jewelry, Antique, & Object Show will be held from Jan. 28 through Feb. 1, 2027.

Retailers are seeking new ways to attract customers, increase traffic, and create revenue – Estate buying events are a popular solution.

The family-owned jeweler will open a new showroom in Bel Air, Maryland, this fall.


Amanda Ileana Hernandez is married to Carlos Hernandez, one of two men in prison for the 2024 murder of Michigan jeweler Hussein Murray.

The reimagined jewel, our Piece of the Week, trades the diamonds in the original 1998 design for blue, pink, yellow, and green sapphires.

Colored gemstones, artisan finishes, mixed metals, and meaningful details are shaping demand in bridal jewelry.

Sponsored by American Gem Trade Association

In the United States, second-quarter sales were flat amid soft consumer sentiment and lower in-store traffic.

The 22-karat gold egg, sold at Batemans Auctioneers in the U.K., was part of a 1980s treasure hunt ad campaign for Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Lucara Diamond Corp., which recovered the “Motswedi” diamond from the Karowe mine, sold the stone for an undisclosed amount.

The expanded collections now feature hand-cut gemstones like topaz, tanzanite, chrysoprase, chalcedony, smoky quartz, and fire opal.

The lab-grown diamond jewelry brand’s newest boutique is in Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, California.

The gemstone supplier and manufacturer acquired the remarkable 104-gram Zambian emerald at Gemfields’ auction in May.

Two suspects offered to trade the woman a “winning” lottery ticket for her jewelry.

Finsch has been in business rescue since May, and owner Petra Diamonds said it sees no viable path forward for the mine.

Michel Patrick DeSalles was sentenced after pleading guilty to the 2017 murder of Omid Gholian, who owned a jewelry store in Manhattan.

The brooch was owned by Virginia Fortune Ryan Ogilvy, who served as a lady of the bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth II for nearly 50 years.

Moore, Polly’s husband, is remembered as a family man with an easygoing spirit and a love for sports and the outdoors.

Duvall O’Steen and Jen Cullen Williams share the best ways to display, present, and explain colored gemstones to younger customers.

The mid-year conference for jewelry and watch appraisers will take place Sept. 5-6 on Zoom.

Honest Hands Ring Co. Founder Benjamin Bosworth shared his thoughts on jewelry technology and why AI can never replace the human element.

QVC Group President and CEO David Rawlinson is temporarily being replaced by a familiar face, former QVC CEO Mike George.

The brand also added two one-of-a-kind brown diamond pieces to the “Sanssouci” series of its “Gardens” collection.

Ostbye took home top vendor honors at the Independent Jewelers Organization’s show, held last month in Kentucky.

Sponsored by Stratus Estate Buyers






















