Recovering Demand in China Boosts De Beers’ Sales
The company’s third-cycle sales totaled $540 million, down only slightly from the same period in a strong 2022.
The company announced Wednesday that rough diamond sales in the third sales cycles of 2023 (March 27-April 11) totaled $540 million.
That is down less than 5 percent when compared with the same period in 2022 ($566 million), a relatively small decline considering how strong the company’s sales were last year.
Compared with the second sales cycle of 2023 ($497 million), De Beers’ rough diamond sales were up nearly 9 percent.
New CEO Al Cook said third-cycle sales were in line expectations. He described diamond jewelry demand as “positive,” calling out China specifically.
“We have continued to see good demand for our rough diamonds over the third sales cycle of the year as we move into the second quarter of 2023,” he said.
“Sales were in line with expectations and we continue to see some encouraging positive trends in consumer demand for diamond jewelry, not least in China where we’re beginning to see some signs of recovery in consumer confidence following the relaxation of travel restrictions.”
Year-to-date, De Beers’ rough diamond sales have totaled $1.49 billion, lower than they were at this point last year ($1.88 billion).
De Beers’ announcement of its third cycle sales results comes amid speculation about the future of its relationship with Botswana.
De Beers and the government of Botswana are still operating under a sales agreement that dates to January 2011 and originally was set to expire at the end of 2020.
Under the terms of that agreement, Debswana, the mining company jointly owned by De Beers and the Botswana government, is bound to sell 75 percent of its rough diamond output to De Beers, while the remaining 25 percent is sold through the Okavango Diamond Company, which is owned by the Botswana government.
The two parties have pushed back the agreement’s expiration date three times. The current deadline to reach a new agreement is June.
De Beers told National Jeweler last week that it continues to work toward a new sales agreement for Debswana diamonds and the Debswana mining licenses.
This year’s Design Atelier is full of gems.
They’re a testament to the power of excellent design.
This year’s honorees include one of Florida’s largest independent jewelers and two multi-store independents in the Chicago and New York areas.
The most trusted diamond report, available in print or the GIA App.
The industry’s most influential contemporary designers are showcasing their latest jewelry designs.
Created by Maitri Lab-Grown Diamonds and graded by IGI, it’s slightly bigger than the record-setting lab-grown diamond GIA just examined.
The marketing agency has integrated its first C-suite.
Navigate origin determination with Continuing Education seminars offered by the GIA Alumni Collective™.
The jewelry trade show also will debut educational content centered around social media.
Luxury kicks off today, with the full show in swing on Friday.
One of the three new collections was inspired by the legend of a woman who traded her mansion to Cartier for two strands of natural pearls.
Rob Ballew will be tasked with communicating the jewelry giant’s plans and financial performance to investors.
With the app, customers receive a 15-day insurance offer on new purchases while their coverage needs are being evaluated.
It is in House of Showfields, a bazaar-style retail space in the borough’s Williamsburg neighborhood.
From consumer trends to retail technology, these are the JCK Talks sessions that should be on attendees’ radar.
Signature pieces from Cartier and David Webb will appear in the June jewelry auction.
They will be celebrated at the annual dinner dance and gala in the fall.
Gemologists have long used machines in diamond grading but technology has made it possible for them to “learn” how to do it on their own.
Supplier Spotlight Sponsored by IGI
Watch retailers Jeffery Bolling and Bobby Bengivengo discuss employee training, customer education and the sticky subject of future value.
The company has plans to revamp the Movado brand and offer less expensive watches this year.
Set with a 118-carat unheated Sri Lankan sapphire, it just sold for $3.4 million at Phillips jewelry auction in Hong Kong.
Sponsored by Noam Carver
As cybercrime incidents threaten the industry, jewelers need to know what they’re up against and the best ways to protect their businesses.
The Pittsburgh jeweler is redoing the lighting and showcases, and adding a full hospitality bar as well as new shop-in-shops.
Zale has more than 40 years’ experience in the diamond industry, including 17 years as Stuller’s VP of diamonds and gemstones procurement.
The Strip is full of new restaurant and entertainment offerings.