De Beers, Botswana Extend Sales Agreement for Third Time
The current agreement, originally set to expire in 2020, will now go through June 2023.
The current 10-year agreement dates back to Jan. 1, 2011 and dictates that Debswana, the mining company jointly owned by De Beers and the Botswana government, sell 75 percent of its rough diamond output to De Beers, with the remaining 25 percent sold through the Okavango Diamond Company.
The agreement also marked the start of the migration of De Beers’ sales and aggregation operations from London to Gaborone, Botswana.
The agreement originally was set to expire at the end of 2020 but was extended for a year to December 2021 because of travel complications associated with COVID-19.
It was then pushed back again, this time for six months.
In announcing the latest extension, De Beers said it will “enable the finalization of the ongoing discussions,” while noting “further positive progress” toward a new agreement.
The company declined further comment on the extension.
Retail sales of diamond jewelry have been breaking records worldwide since the onset of the pandemic, sending rough diamond sales soaring for De Beers.
The company saw rough diamond sales climb to $4.9 billion in 2021, a 75 percent year-over-year increase.
To date this year, De Beers’ sales are pacing 24 percent ahead of last year amid bullish sentiment coming out of the Las Vegas trade shows, though some analysts say diamond jewelry sales have begun to slow at the consumer level.
Expected to earn up to $4.5 million, the “Jarretière” bracelet is the star of Christie’s “The Magnificent Jewels of Anne Eisenhower” sale.
With jewelry sales coming down from their pandemic highs, retailers need to do all they can to retain existing customers, Peter Smith says.
Jewelry historians, authors, and experts will explore the works of Tiffany & Co., Oscar Heyman, Verdura, and more.
Distinguishing natural diamonds from laboratory-grown stones – now more available than ever – has been difficult for jewelers. Until now.
Johnson joined the retailer in 1987, establishing its first human resources department.
Supplier Spotlight Presented by IGI
The industry gathered to celebrate those who elevate the jewelry and watch industries.
De Beers Institute of Diamonds provides the very best in diamond verification, education and diamond services.
At JSA’s annual luncheon, President John J. Kennedy said the organization recorded more than 2,000 cases last year.
It highlights Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel’s lasting influence on modern design.
Jewelers of America’s Amanda Gizzi explores the qualities and accomplishments that make this year’s Gem Award nominees shine.
Here’s what the nine chosen organizations plan to do with the funds.
The designer is nominated for a Gem Award for Jewelry Design.
The jewelry giant’s full-year sales were essentially flat, brought down by fourth-quarter declines.
In its recent results, the company highlighted non-bridal jewelry sales and said its “inventory-light” showroom model may change.
See 15 fabulous pieces from the 2023 Gem Award for Jewelry Design nominees: Anita Ko, Kirsty Stone, and Ron Anderson and David Rees.
The new Cal. E365 movement doubles the running time of the current Eco-Drive models.
The mood is bullish as more companies get into the business despite the dramatic drop in lab-grown diamond prices.
Hari Krishna Exports and the Dholakia Foundation’s “Mission 100 Sarovar” aims to create 100 lakes to help revive an area of Gujarat.
The educational resource will highlight the positive impact diamonds can make on their journey from mine to market.
Australian mining company Burgundy Diamond Mines announced plans to buy the mine in a deal valued at $136 million.
A 17th-century gold seal ring and an 18th-century memento mori ring met or exceeded estimates at a recent Noonans auction.
They will be recognized at the organization’s annual luncheon this weekend in New York City.
Sherry Smith breaks down the results so far this year, including which categories are the sales standouts and which are struggling.
The 1,000-year-old find is now on display in the Dutch National Museum of Antiquities.
More than 200 exhibitors are scheduled for the May 11-14 event.
Gove, who has more than a decade of experience in the diamond industry, is Opsydia’s new sales and marketing director.