Macy’s Ends Buyout Talks
The retailer will not be making a deal with Arkhouse Management and Brigade Capital Management, opting to focus on its turnaround plan.

In March, real estate investment firm Arkhouse Management and asset management firm Brigade Capital Management offered the department store chain a buyout deal worth $6.6 billion.
It was their second offer after the retailer declined their initial offer of $5.8 billion in December 2023.
Macy’s had been considering the revised offer, opening its books to the firms in April.
However, its board of directors unanimously have decided to end discussions with Arkhouse and Brigade.
“At this time, after careful review, we have concluded that Arkhouse and Brigade’s proposal lacks certainty of financing and does not deliver compelling value, notwithstanding the significant time, resources, and information shared during this process,” said Paul Varga, lead independent director of Macy’s.
Macy’s said it had been working “in good faith” with Arkhouse and Brigade for more than seven months now, with the understanding that there was a willingness to possibly increase the purchase price to an amount Macy’s board might accept.
Following “hundreds of hours” of due diligence, the involved companies agreed that Arkhouse and Brigade would deliver a fully financed and actionable proposal to Macy’s by June 25.
The offer was to include the best purchase price per share and fully negotiated commitment papers for all the debt and equity needed to finance the deal.
On June 26, Arkhouse and Brigade instead sent Macy’s a “check in” letter, said the retailer, with an increased bid of $24.80 per share.
Though slightly higher than the second offer of $24 per share, it was within a range that Macy’s board already had said was “not compelling.”
In addition, the financing papers submitted to Macy’s were “insufficient,” leading the board to believe that a viable offer cannot be reached within a reasonable period of time.
Macy’s said its management team instead will focus on increasing shareholder value through its latest turnaround plan, called “A Bold New Chapter.”
Announced in February, the plan includes closing 150 stores over the next three years as it grapples with declining sales.
The three pillars of the strategy are: strengthening the Macy’s brand, accelerating luxury growth, and simplifying and modernizing end-to-end operations.
Macy’s Chairman and CEO Tony Spring said, “Our team continues to be singularly focused on creating value for our shareholders. While it remains early days, we are pleased that our initiatives have gained traction, reinforcing our belief that the company can return to sustainable, profitable growth, accelerate free cash flow generation, and unlock shareholder value.”
The board is open to exploring all paths to increased shareholder value, added Varga, and believes the new strategy is the best opportunity for doing so.
Macy’s said it will share additional details about how the strategy has been working so far as part of its second-quarter earnings, which it will report next month.
The Latest

Everett covers colored stones’ surging popularity, the mellow return of the “Mellon Blue,” and his “The Devil Wears Prada” doppelgänger.

Fourth-generation CEO Lilly Mullen wants to emphasize experience, connection, and personalized service.

The new award, created in partnership with Henne Jewelers, honors the late designer’s legacy through supporting jewelry education.

As gold prices rise, today’s retailers are looking for alternatives at prices that will appeal to wider audiences.

The addition of the diamond-producing countries as nation affiliated members broadens the federation’s global representation, WFDB said.


The NYPD is warning elderly New Yorkers to keep their jewelry hidden when walking outside to avoid being a target.

Designer Viviana Langhoff has realized her dream of owning a space for her Chicago jewelry store that looks and feels like her brand.

With the trade and customer trust in mind, GIA® developed NextGem™ – on-demand training designed specifically for retail.

The sessions will run from Friday, May 29, to Sunday, May 31, with one being a live taping of an episode of Couture’s podcast.

Former Stephanie Gottlieb Fine Jewelry executive Morgan P. Richardson is joining the lab-grown diamond jewelry brand.

The $400 pocket watch is a blend of Audemars Piguet’s iconic eight-sided Royal Oak and Swatch’s unserious Pop watches from the ‘80s.

With gold prices on the rise, the “Modern Electrum” collection uses an alternative, non-tarnishing metal alloy composed of gold and silver.

Fruchtman Marketing has new owners, Erin Moyer-Carballea and Manuel Carballea, and will relocate to Miami.

In a column for the 2026 State of the Majors issue, Smith lists 10 time-tested principles about sales that still ring true.

In a column for the 2026 State of the Majors issue, Golan spells out how the growing economic divide in the U.S. is reshaping the market.

The “Limitless Expansion of Joy and Hope” collection evokes summer through colored gemstones and motifs of butterflies and florals.

The jewel, circa 1890, is from the late Victorian era and was owned by descendants of the last high king of Ireland.

This is what the nine recipients plan to do with the funds.

The Western star’s 14-karat gold signet ring sold for six times its low estimate following a bidding war at U.K. auction house Elmwood’s.

The discussion, "Rebuilding the Jewelry Workforce," will take place on Saturday, May 16, in Troy, Michigan.

The jewelry industry is reassessing its positioning as Gen Z reshapes the retail landscape and lab grown continues to gain market share.

A matching pair of 18.38-carat, D-color diamonds from Botswana’s Jwaneng mine sold for $3.3 million, the top lot of the jewelry auction.

Sponsored by A Diamond Is Forever

The next generation of lapidarists are entrepreneurial, engaged online, and see the craft as a means for artistic expression.

It was the second auction appearance for the fancy vivid blue-green diamond, which sold for $7.8 million at Christie’s Geneva 12 years ago.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Task Force took a 22-year-old man into custody. He was charged with tampering with evidence.

While the overall number of crimes was down, there were more incidences in which robbers pulled out guns, mace, or rammed cars into stores.




























