Material Good is celebrating its 10th anniversary as it opens its new store in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston.
Rio Tinto Apologizes to Australian Aboriginals, Again
The miner failed to inform the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura people about a change in leadership.
Melbourne, Australia—Rio Tinto issued an apology last week after a miscommunication with two Australian Aboriginal groups they are trying to mend fences with following the destruction of a sacred indigenous site.
The Australian miner blew up prehistoric rock shelters that were considered sacred to two Australian Aboriginal groups, the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura people, in the Juukan Gorge in Western Australia in May 2020 in order to access iron ore.
The caves were culturally and archeologically important sites that contained signs of human habitation stretching back as far as 45,000 years. Their destruction sparked outrage worldwide and led to a parliamentary inquiry in Australia.
Rio Tinto’s Executive Director and CEO Jean-Sébastien Jacques and two other executives resigned following destruction of the caves, with Jacques leaving the company in January.
The company also publicly apologized.
The miner has been working to repair its relationship with the Australian Aboriginal groups ever since, but had to issue another public apology last week after failing to communicate a change in leadership.
Chairman Simon Thompson had said that the acting head of Rio Tinto’s iron ore business, Ivan Vella, would spearhead the repair effort and remain in the role until things were mended.
However, last week, Rio Tinto moved Vella to its aluminum business in Canada and appointed marketing chief Simon Trott to the iron ore role.
The PKKP told The Australian that they found out about the change through the media and were not informed by Rio Tinto directly.
The miner apologized for not communicating better with the Australian Aboriginal groups about replacing Vella with Trott.
“Rio Tinto accepts that it should have communicated the recent executive changes to the PKKP in a more collaborative way,” Rio Tinto and the PKKP said in a joint statement.
“The PKKP acknowledges that it was not the intention of the Rio Tinto Chairman Simon Thompson to mislead the PKKP board and the elders at the joint board meeting,” the statement said.
“We jointly recognize that in any relationship, mistakes are going to be made and it is how we work through these that informs the strength and depth of the ongoing relationship.”
The Latest

The show will be held March 26-30 at the Miami Beach Convention Center.

The estate of the model, philanthropist, and ex-wife of Johnny Carson has signed statement jewels up for sale at John Moran Auctioneers.

Launched in 2023, the program will help the passing of knowledge between generations and alleviate the shortage of bench jewelers.

Are arm bands poised to make a comeback? Has red-carpet jewelry become boring? Find out on the second episode of the “My Next Question” podcast.


It will lead distribution in North America for Graziella Braccialini's new gold pieces, which it said are 50 percent lighter.

The organization is seeking a new executive director to lead it into its next phase of strategic growth and industry influence.

Criminals are using cell jammers to disable alarms, but new technology like JamAlert™ can stop them.

The nonprofit will present a live, two-hour introductory course on building confidence when selling colored gemstones.

Western wear continues to trend in the Year of the Fire Horse and along with it, horse and horseshoe motifs in jewelry.

Rossman, who advised GIA for more than 50 years, is remembered for his passion and dedication to the field of gemology.

Guthrie, the mother of “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie, was abducted just as the Tucson gem shows were starting.

Butterfield Jewelers in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is preparing to close as members of the Butterfield family head into retirement.

Paul Morelli’s “Rosebud” necklace, our Piece of the Week, uses 18-karat rose, green, and white gold to turn the symbol of love into jewelry.

The nonprofit has welcomed four new grantees for 2026.

Parent company Saks Global is also closing nearly all Saks Off 5th locations, a Neiman Marcus store, and 14 personal styling suites.

It is believed the 24-karat heart-shaped enameled pendant was made for an event marking the betrothal of Princess Mary in 1518.

The “Kering Generation Award x Jewelry” returns for its second year with “Second Chance, First Choice” as its theme.

Sourced by For Future Reference Vintage, the yellow gold ring has a round center stone surrounded by step-cut sapphires.

The clothing and accessories chain announced last month it would be closing all of its stores.

The “Zales x Sweethearts” collection features three mystery heart charms engraved with classic sayings seen on the Valentine’s Day candies.

The event will include panel discussions, hands-on demonstrations of new digital manufacturing tools, and a jewelry design contest.

Registration is now open for The Jewelry Symposium, set to take place in Detroit from May 16-19.

Namibia has formally signed the Luanda Accord, while two key industry organizations pledged to join the Natural Diamond Council.

Lady Gaga, Cardi B, and Karol G also went with diamond jewelry for Bad Bunny’s Super Bowl halftime show honoring Puerto Rico.

Jewelry is expected to be the No. 1 gift this year in terms of dollars spent.

As star brand Gucci continues to struggle, the luxury titan plans to announce a new roadmap to return to growth.





















