Five Men Arrested in Connection to NYC Jewelry Store Robberies
The alleged robbers stole $2 million worth of jewelry, including a diamond necklace weighing 76 carats.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Southern District of New York named the defendants in a press release Tuesday.
The men are Vincent Cerchio, 69, of Howard Beach, New York; Frank DiPietro, 65, of Red Bank, New Jersey; Vincent Spagnuolo, 65, of Monmouth Beach, New Jersey; Michael Sellick, 67, of Franklin Square, New York; and Samuel Sorce of Florham Park, New Jersey.
Defendants Cerchio, DiPietro, Spagnuolo, and Sellick are charged with the Jan. 3 robbery of a store on Madison Avenue, while Sorce is the sole defendant charged in connection with the May 20 robbery of a jewelry store on Elizabeth Street.
The store in Midtown was Bayco Jewels on Madison Avenue near East 61st Street, according to an NBC report, while the downtown store was not named.
On the morning of Jan. 3, the four men charged with the Midtown robbery traveled to the store via multiple vehicles.
At around 10:20 a.m., when a store employee was moving jewels into the front window display, DiPietro and Sellick entered the store dressed as construction workers, said authorities.
The store only lets customers in by appointment, as per court documents, but would routinely remove jewelry from the safe around that time to bring to the window display.
DiPietro allegedly pointed a gun at the employee and said, “Give it to me,” while Sellick told the employee to, “turn around and get in the closet.”
The two men allegedly stole three pieces of diamond jewelry, including a 73-carat diamond necklace, a 6-carat ring, and a pair of earrings weighing 17 carats, before all four defendants fled.
Surveillance footage shows all four men by the store the day before, likely “casing” the place, said authorities.
The second robbery took place on the morning of May 20. Similar to the first robbery, employees had just opened for business when DiPietro and Sellick allegedly entered wearing masks and construction vests.
Sellick allegedly pointed a gun at the store’s employees and instructed them to get down on the ground while DiPietro took jewelry.
The two men fled and got into a getaway car driven by Sorce, also dressed as a construction worker, said authorities, then switched to a second getaway car driven by Spagnuolo.
Sorce is the only suspect charged in the May 20 crime.
The defendants are each charged with one count of Hobbs Act robbery and one count of conspiracy to commit Hobbs Act robbery, each of which carry a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
They are also charged with one count of brandishing a firearm during and in connection with a crime of violence, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years in prison, which would be in addition to any sentence imposed for Hobbs Act robbery.
The men are alleged to be linked to the Lucchese and Gambino crime families, as per the NBC report. DiPietro has previously served 19 years in federal prison in connection with the murder of a witness who testified against the Lucchese family, detailed in a report from a local Staten Island publication.
The defendants were taken to Manhattan federal court Tuesday and held without bail, said NBC.
FBI Assistant Director in Charge Michael J. Driscoll said, “The defendants allegedly brazenly robbed Manhattan jewelry stores of approximately $2 million worth of merchandise at gunpoint. Violent robberies, especially those with firearms, will not be tolerated by the FBI and our partners in law enforcement.
“The arrests today should serve as a warning to anyone willing to engage in armed robberies – you will face the consequences.”
NYPD Commissioner Keechant L. Sewell said, “The swift arrests in this case reaffirm the NYPD’s steadfast commitment, with its law enforcement partners, to hold everyone accused of violent acts accountable. The charges these defendants face reflect a callous disregard for life, and they will now be held accountable.”
The case is being handled by the Office’s General Crimes Unit with Assistant U.S. Attorneys Alexandra S. Messiter and Justin Horton in charge of the prosecution.
The Latest

Everett covers colored stones’ surging popularity, the mellow return of the “Mellon Blue,” and his “The Devil Wears Prada” doppelgänger.

Fourth-generation CEO Lilly Mullen wants to emphasize experience, connection, and personalized service.

The new award, created in partnership with Henne Jewelers, honors the late designer’s legacy through supporting jewelry education.

As gold prices rise, today’s retailers are looking for alternatives at prices that will appeal to wider audiences.

The addition of the diamond-producing countries as nation affiliated members broadens the federation’s global representation, WFDB said.


Designer Viviana Langhoff has realized her dream of owning a space for her Chicago jewelry store that looks and feels like her brand.

The sessions will run from Friday, May 29, to Sunday, May 31, with one being a live taping of an episode of Couture’s podcast.

With the trade and customer trust in mind, GIA® developed NextGem™ – on-demand training designed specifically for retail.

Former Stephanie Gottlieb Fine Jewelry executive Morgan P. Richardson is joining the lab-grown diamond jewelry brand.

The $400 pocket watch is a blend of Audemars Piguet’s iconic eight-sided Royal Oak and Swatch’s unserious Pop watches from the ‘80s.

With gold prices on the rise, the “Modern Electrum” collection uses an alternative, non-tarnishing metal alloy composed of gold and silver.

Fruchtman Marketing has new owners, Erin Moyer-Carballea and Manuel Carballea, and will relocate to Miami.

In a column for the 2026 State of the Majors issue, Smith lists 10 time-tested principles about sales that still ring true.

In a column for the 2026 State of the Majors issue, Golan spells out how the growing economic divide in the U.S. is reshaping the market.

The “Limitless Expansion of Joy and Hope” collection evokes summer through colored gemstones and motifs of butterflies and florals.

The jewel, circa 1890, is from the late Victorian era and was owned by descendants of the last high king of Ireland.

This is what the nine recipients plan to do with the funds.

The Western star’s 14-karat gold signet ring sold for six times its low estimate following a bidding war at U.K. auction house Elmwood’s.

The discussion, "Rebuilding the Jewelry Workforce," will take place on Saturday, May 16, in Troy, Michigan.

The jewelry industry is reassessing its positioning as Gen Z reshapes the retail landscape and lab grown continues to gain market share.

A matching pair of 18.38-carat, D-color diamonds from Botswana’s Jwaneng mine sold for $3.3 million, the top lot of the jewelry auction.

Sponsored by A Diamond Is Forever

The next generation of lapidarists are entrepreneurial, engaged online, and see the craft as a means for artistic expression.

It was the second auction appearance for the fancy vivid blue-green diamond, which sold for $7.8 million at Christie’s Geneva 12 years ago.

While the overall number of crimes was down, there were more incidences in which robbers pulled out guns, mace, or rammed cars into stores.

Jack Sutton Fine Jewelry is closing its store inside the downtown shopping center after 40 years in business.

Reena Ahluwalia’s painting of the rare red diamond is the first contemporary painting to join the National Gem Collection.




























