Report: Blackstone to Buy IGI for Up to $550M
The deal could be signed as early as this weekend, according to a report by The Economic Times.
Earlier this year, IGI CEO Roland Lorie confirmed reports that Chinese conglomerate Fosun International Ltd. was considering selling its stake in IGI.
Fosun acquired an 80 percent stake in the business in 2018, while the remaining 20 percent stayed with its founders, the Belgium-based Lorie family.
The family founded IGI in Antwerp in 1975. It now operates 29 grading labs and 18 gemology schools across 10 countries.
Blackstone is expected to sign a binding agreement with Fosun, the Lorie family and IGI’s other shareholders as early as this weekend, according to The Economic Times. IGI is valued at $500 million to $550 million.
IGI and Blackstone declined to comment on the report.
Fosun has been cutting costs recently in an effort to reduce its debt, noted the report.
The Chinese conglomerate has $36 billion in debt, and the company told analysts last fall it was looking to sell $11 billion in assets to help pay it down.
The news follows other recent mergers and acquisitions among the industry’s grading labs.
Earlier this month, Israel-based equipment and technology company Sarine completed its acquisition of a majority stake in the Gem Certification and Assurance Laboratory (GCAL), founded by Don and Pamela Palmieri in 2001.
In October 2022, the American Gem Society announced it would close AGS Laboratories at the end of 2022 and merge its operations with the Gemological Institute of America.
Editor's Note: This story has been updated post-publication to reflect the current number of grading labs and gemology schools operated by IGI.
This year’s Design Atelier is full of gems.
They’re a testament to the power of excellent design.
This year’s honorees include one of Florida’s largest independent jewelers and two multi-store independents in the Chicago and New York areas.
The most trusted diamond report, available in print or the GIA App.
The industry’s most influential contemporary designers are showcasing their latest jewelry designs.
Created by Maitri Lab-Grown Diamonds and graded by IGI, it’s slightly bigger than the record-setting lab-grown diamond GIA just examined.
The marketing agency has integrated its first C-suite.
Navigate origin determination with Continuing Education seminars offered by the GIA Alumni Collective™.
The jewelry trade show also will debut educational content centered around social media.
Luxury kicks off today, with the full show in swing on Friday.
One of the three new collections was inspired by the legend of a woman who traded her mansion to Cartier for two strands of natural pearls.
Rob Ballew will be tasked with communicating the jewelry giant’s plans and financial performance to investors.
With the app, customers receive a 15-day insurance offer on new purchases while their coverage needs are being evaluated.
It is in House of Showfields, a bazaar-style retail space in the borough’s Williamsburg neighborhood.
From consumer trends to retail technology, these are the JCK Talks sessions that should be on attendees’ radar.
Signature pieces from Cartier and David Webb will appear in the June jewelry auction.
They will be celebrated at the annual dinner dance and gala in the fall.
Supplier Spotlight Sponsored by IGI
Watch retailers Jeffery Bolling and Bobby Bengivengo discuss employee training, customer education and the sticky subject of future value.
The company has plans to revamp the Movado brand and offer less expensive watches this year.
Set with a 118-carat unheated Sri Lankan sapphire, it just sold for $3.4 million at Phillips jewelry auction in Hong Kong.
Sponsored by Noam Carver
As cybercrime incidents threaten the industry, jewelers need to know what they’re up against and the best ways to protect their businesses.
The Pittsburgh jeweler is redoing the lighting and showcases, and adding a full hospitality bar as well as new shop-in-shops.
The Yurman Family Crystalline Pass is inside the museum’s brand-new Richard Gilder Center.
Zale has more than 40 years’ experience in the diamond industry, including 17 years as Stuller’s VP of diamonds and gemstones procurement.
The Strip is full of new restaurant and entertainment offerings.