The exhibition will feature more than 100 drawings of stained-glass lampshades, windows, and more, many created by women and émigrés.
Angolan journalist receives suspended sentence
A week after his case allegedly had been settled, a judge hit Rafael Marques de Morais with a 6-month sentence suspended for 2 years.
Luanda, Angola--The journalist who faced trial at the hands of those he implicated in his book about corruption and torture in the Angolan diamond industry received a suspended sentence last week.
A judge hit Rafael Marques de Morais with a six-month sentence suspended for two years, meaning he can be sent to prison for half a year at any time in the next two years.
The sentencing took place May 28, just one week after it was believed he had reached a settlement with the military generals and two mining companies that originally put him on trial for libel and criminal defamation. They agreed to drop the charges against de Morias and let him have continued access to the diamond fields as long as he agreed not to republish his book, Blood Diamonds: Corruption and Torture in Angola, and publicly acknowledge that the generals might not have known about the human rights abuses.
In spite of the agreement, public prosecutors called for the 43-year-old investigative journalist to receive jail time. De Morais told The Guardian that he was lied to by the generals, who wanted to avoid the embarrassment of a trial, and now has the threat of incarceration hanging over his head as he seeks to continue working as a journalist in Angola.
De Morais originally went on trial for his book in March, just days after receiving an award in London for his contributions to free speech as an investigative journalist.
Published in Portugal in 2011, the book detailed corruption in the diamond industry in Angola--which is the current vice chair of the Kimberley Process--as well as torture and killings allegedly carried out by security guards and Angolan soldiers in the diamond-rich Lunda Norte province.
He faced nine counts of libel but was slapped with an additional 15 counts of criminal defamation on his first day in court.
After two delays in the trial, De Morais reached a settlement on May 21 with the companies and generals that had brought the charges against him.
A number of organizations have spoken out about the journalist’s prosecution, including Amnesty International as well as Tiffany & Co. and Chicago independent Leber Jeweler. Both companies signed a statement calling on the Angolan government to drop its case against the journalist when his trial started.
Tiffany also was one of the signatories on a new letter calling
Amnesty International said the latest development in the de Morais case is politically motivated, designed to silence an activist and send a warning message to those who speak out against the government in Angola.
It is “a clear sign of abuse of the judiciary to intimidate those who dare to speak truth to power in Angola,” the organization said.
The Latest

Marquise-cut diamonds in drop charms are the center of the new collection, reflecting the movement of a dancer in modular styles.

The inaugural Fort Lauderdale Jewelry, Antique, & Object Show will be held from Jan. 28 through Feb. 1, 2027.

Retailers are seeking new ways to attract customers, increase traffic, and create revenue – Estate buying events are a popular solution.

The family-owned jeweler will open a new showroom in Bel Air, Maryland, this fall.


Amanda Ileana Hernandez is married to Carlos Hernandez, one of two men in prison for the 2024 murder of Michigan jeweler Hussein Murray.

The reimagined jewel, our Piece of the Week, trades the diamonds in the original 1998 design for blue, pink, yellow, and green sapphires.

Colored gemstones, artisan finishes, mixed metals, and meaningful details are shaping demand in bridal jewelry.

Sponsored by American Gem Trade Association

In the United States, second-quarter sales were flat amid soft consumer sentiment and lower in-store traffic.

The 22-karat gold egg, sold at Batemans Auctioneers in the U.K., was part of a 1980s treasure hunt ad campaign for Cadbury Creme Eggs.

The expanded collections now feature hand-cut gemstones like topaz, tanzanite, chrysoprase, chalcedony, smoky quartz, and fire opal.

The lab-grown diamond jewelry brand’s newest boutique is in Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, California.

Two suspects offered to trade the woman a “winning” lottery ticket for her jewelry.

Finsch has been in business rescue since May, and owner Petra Diamonds said it sees no viable path forward for the mine.

Michel Patrick DeSalles was sentenced after pleading guilty to the 2017 murder of Omid Gholian, who owned a jewelry store in Manhattan.

Longtime industry executive Beth Miller has taken on the role.

The brooch was owned by Virginia Fortune Ryan Ogilvy, who served as a lady of the bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth II for nearly 50 years.

Jamie Cygielman will take on the role on Aug. 24.

Moore, Polly’s husband, is remembered as a family man with an easygoing spirit and a love for sports and the outdoors.

Duvall O’Steen and Jen Cullen Williams share the best ways to display, present, and explain colored gemstones to younger customers.

The mid-year conference for jewelry and watch appraisers will take place Sept. 5-6 on Zoom.

Honest Hands Ring Co. Founder Benjamin Bosworth shared his thoughts on jewelry technology and why AI can never replace the human element.

QVC Group President and CEO David Rawlinson is temporarily being replaced by a familiar face, former QVC CEO Mike George.

The brand also added two one-of-a-kind brown diamond pieces to the “Sanssouci” series of its “Gardens” collection.

Ostbye took home top vendor honors at the Independent Jewelers Organization’s show, held last month in Kentucky.

Sponsored by Stratus Estate Buyers





















