The peachy hue also marks the program’s 25th anniversary.
India: A Global Gem and Jewelry Capital in the Making
An undisputed leader in diamond processing and silver jewelry, India aspires to replicate this success and become "Jeweler to the World."
Driving the export-led growth is Colin Shah, Chairman of Gem & Jewelry Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) and his team. "I am confident that the sector will be able to achieve its target of $40 billion exports in this financial year,” said Mr. Shah in an interview with me.
- Mega Common Facility Centre (CFC) with an investment of INR 700 million at the Santacruz Electronic Export Processing Zone (SEEPZ) Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Mumbai: A Common Facility Centre pools together high-end, capital-intensive, state-of-the-art machinery and equipment. These can be used by small and medium sized manufacturing units by paying reasonable charges and reduce production costs. The mega CFC will serve as a platform for technology transfer and re-skilling of the existing artisans by providing them training on various aspects pertaining to manufacturing studded jewelry.
- Rejuvenation & redevelopment of SEEPZ at an investment of INR 2 billion: SEEPZ, spread over 111 acres of land is one of the largest and oldest export processing zones. There are over 150 jewelry units employing a workforce of 50,000 people, making it the single largest cluster in the country and perhaps in the world. SEEPZ SEZ has a well-connected network of central roads, business facilitation center, central warehouse, foreign post office, off-shore banking unit, authorized dealer of foreign exchange, convention center, in-house custom clearance facility and uninterrupted power supply. “Currently the SEEPZ contributes around $3 billion to our total G&J exports annually, but with better infrastructure and technology, it has the potential to contribute $10 billion,” said Mr. Shah.
- India Jewelry Park Mumbai (IJPM): Mumbai has the Bharat Diamond Bourse (BDB) with 3,000 offices, SEEPZ with 200 factories, and the industrial estate in Andheri, which has another 300 factories. The industry needed a special park to consolidate all the units spread across areas like Zaveri Bazaar and Parel into a world-class infrastructure like the BDB. The IJPM is benchmarked against similar Jewelry Parks in countries like China, Turkey, Italy, Thailand, and is expected to attract investments to the tune of over $2.7 billion. Spread over 21.3 acres, the project is scheduled to be completed in 30 months. It will house more than 2,000 manufacturing units and offices and provide low-cost residential facilities for workers. It will also have training and up-skilling facilities for artisans.
- Surat Diamond Bourse (SDB): In 2022, India will get its second diamond exchange, the SDB. With an area measuring 6.6 million sq. ft., it will be larger than the world’s largest office building, the Pentagon. The $336.2 million project will prove to be a game changer for the Indian diamond industry. SDB is a part of Diamond Research & Mercantile (DREAM) smart city spread over 35.54 acres of land situated very close to the Surat airport. All of the 4,200 offices were sold before construction started in 2018.
- E-Commerce: The government has been quick to realize the potential of e-commerce and has proposed to implement a simplified regulatory framework by June 2022 to facilitate gem and jewelry exports through the e-commerce route, ensuring that jewelers from every district in the country are able to ship their products overseas in a fast and economical manner. This is the need of the hour, as the e-commerce sales of jewelry are growing exponentially in the U.S. and other consuming markets. The broad basing of the exports through this measure have the potential to grow to $100 billion in the next 5 years.
- JIO World Centre: On March 4, 2022, doors opened for the first-of-a-kind global destination that has a state-of-the-art convention facility. Owned by India’s largest company, Reliance Industries Ltd; JIO World Centre is located in the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) and is walking distance from the world’s largest bourse, BDB. GJS, India Gem & Jewelry Show, a grand B2B expo, will be the first jewelry show to be organized at this venue from April 3-6, 2022.
Without the ability to instill confidence within the industry and directly to the consumer, a diamond holds very little value.
The wedding band company is also accusing its former customer of removing watermarks from Lashbrook images for its own use.
It provides a timeline for the implementation of new restrictions, but no details.
With holiday proposals right around the corner, encourage your customers to go for platinum when making the big purchase.
Sherry Smith breaks down the numbers on jewelry sales in November and reveals the category that “emerged as a standout.”
Additional lots will be offered in the Fine Jewels online sale through Dec. 7.
Peter Damian Arguello, the owner of Peter Damian Fine Jewelry & Antiques, was shot and killed in an apparent robbery last week.
The Indian jewelry giant has opened locations in Houston and Frisco, Texas.
Each student was provided with the full amount of tuition for the Namibia University of Science & Technology.
The watch seller’s new index tracks sales data from 14 brands, including Rolex and Patek Philippe.
The lab-grown diamond brand also collaborated with the website The Future Rocks on a collection launching today.
It’s the hero piece of the newest "Green Jewel" collection, a collaborative offering from the two mines.
Chris Cramer, who also spent time at Gen Z intimates brand Parade, will take on the dual role.
The retail offering lets customers track their diamond’s journey.
The Luele mine is expected to eventually make the country the world’s third-largest diamond producer.
From Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, 200.4 million consumers shopped online and in stores.